Volunteers at Thorncroft
Volunteers are the life-blood of Thorncroft; this work would simply not be possible without the efforts of those who give of their own hearts and spirit.
Cooperation. Respect. Love.
350 Weekly Riders
Over 30 Horses
Over 30 Staff Members
Accomplishing our goal of improving the lives of those with special needs is made possible only through the generosity and devotion of our volunteers. At Thorncroft, our volunteers give much more than their time…they give their friendship, their compassion: in a word, themselves.
Our lesson volunteers assist with weekly lessons by grooming and tacking horses before the lesson, leading the horse or side aiding for a student during the lesson, and putting the horse away after the lesson. These volunteers commit to the same day and time every week in order to establish relationships and teamwork between the rider, the instructor and the horse. No horse experience? No problem. We teach our volunteers to work with horses and students. Fill out an application here. (please note that our age requirement for lesson volunteers is 13)
Thorncroft offers many special programs throughout the year which are the perfect opportunity for volunteers who cannot commit to our weekly program. We hold exclusive programs for the Vanguard School, Timothy School of Berwyn, the Special Olympics of Chester County, as well as summer camps for Bournelyf of West Chester and Elwyn.
We host various horse shows here at the Farm, including the Handicapped Riders Division of the Devon Horse Show, held the last Saturday in May. Hundreds of competitors from neighboring states converge to compete in dressage, equitation and trail classes. In October, The Fall Handicapped Horse Show is another popular event for therapeutic riders. These events can only continue with the help of volunteers.
Volunteers also assist with special events such as the Victory Gallop, our annual gala and silent auction held at the historic Park Hyatt at The Bellevue in Philadelphia and Dressage at Devon, a world class horse show staged in very own neighborhood.
POSITIONS FOR EVERYONE
- No matter what your time schedule or ability, Thorncroft has a volunteer position for you.
- We also accommodate group projects and school service projects for as many as twenty!
- Feel free to drop by the farm anytime to visit our riders, staff and horses and figure out which volunteer position is right for you.
- For those interested in volunteering for the positions working with the riders, horses and shows, here is the application form, just fill it out and send it in!
- We take care that all volunteers have attended a training program and are comfortable in the offering of their service.
- Take a look at the Volunteer Handbook if you feel that this may be something that would help you, and help someone whose life could be changed by a little of your time.
Just being in the presence of some of our riders as they face their challenges has changed peoples' lives. We help one another at Thorncroft every day.